Review: Driven by K. Bromberg

Driven ((The Driven Trilogy)) - K. Bromberg

♥♥♥ 3.75 "MIXED SIGNALS" STARS ♥♥♥

After reading a few mixed reviews, I wasn't to sure if I wanted to read this one or not. In the end, I decided to try it for myself and hope for the best. After a weird start to the book--which already had me thinking I might not end up liking it--I became quite hooked. And was pleasantly surprised to end up enjoying this book.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"Let’s face it, you’re not a spend the night kind of guy, and I’m not a one-night stand kind of girl."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

The book begins with Rylee Thomas catching the famous racecar driver Colton Donovan in the act. However, she doesn't know it's him. She thinks he is just a random guy. This later leads her to become trapped in a storage closet where Colton rescues her from. And just like that, they get all hot and heavy with each other, making out like a couple of horny teens. You can see why I thought this book would not be for me. I mean she doesn't realize it at the time--since she didn't see his face--but he was just finished doing the deed with another woman and then starts making out with her. When she hears the familiar "Sweet Jesus" groan come out of him, she knows he's THE guy she just saw and pushes him away. So, the start wasn't too great to me, but I still continued.

Rylee was a twenty six year old independent woman. She works with an organization that helps orphaned children. She was kind, smart, and also quite feisty. But she also has some things she needs to move on from. She's attracted to Colton but knows that he is a big ol' man whore so she tries to stay away from him. She is confused by Colton's hot and cold attitude towards her. She thinks he only wants her because he thinks she is a challenge. He warns her about himself yet keeps telling her he wants to have her. Even I was getting severe whiplash.

Colton Donovan is a hot, arrogant, confident, dominant womanizer. He is relentless in his pursuit of Rylee and she soon realizes that there is more to him than what he projects. He apprears all calm and collected in front of everyone, but he is actually quite unsure of himself. After getting flashes of vulnerability from him, she wants to get to know the real him, but Colton doesn't want that to happen. I didn't get why he kept shutting her out, it was very frustrating.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"I'm seeing the true Colton Donavan - the unmasked version with a vulnerability that makes me want to reach over and take the hurt that often flickers through those green eyes and make it better. To show him that love and commitment are possible without complications. That it is real and pure and much more powerful than ever imagined with it is built and shared between two people."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Rylee doesn't know what to do. Her friend's advice on moving on and living her life, with Colton's persistence causes her to finally give in to the sexual chemistry between them. At this point, I couldn't stop reading. I enjoyed the carefree banter between Rylee and Colton. As the story went on, we got to know a bit about Colton but there is still so much more to find out about him that he keeps hidden. We get to know a lot about Rylee and an event that occured that was a tough thing to go through. This is why Rylee was so hesitant to start anything with Colton. But I did get confused when after rejecting him, she didn't want him to leave.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“He is my fire on a cold night, the sun warming my skin on a cool spring morning, the wind caressing my face on an autumn day—he is everything that makes me feel alive, and whole, and beautiful. And desired.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

There were a few moments that were quite slow. Some things became to repetitive with "will we, won't we" thing going on. It just dragged on a bit too much for me in those moments. But there were also some angsty and intenst moments that had me not wanting to stop reading. The overall structure of this book is similar to the many books out there that involve a dominant millionaire. I didn't mind it so much because the stories weren't exactly the same. But still some might find they don't like the similarites of it, which is why I'm letting you know about it. I can understand that this might be the reason many people didn't like or didn't finish the book. There was one part where Rylee mentions Ana and Christian Grey. I kinda wish that wasn't in there since I really hate comparing books.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"You'll think you can change him and his ways. And just when that happens, you'll be over quicker than that last lap he just took."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Overall, I enjoyed the Rylee, even if she confused me at times. I liked Colton despite being mercurial, he was hot and I loved that he had moments that showed his soft side. The sexual in this book was high, as was the steam. I also want to mention that I didn't find any of the sex scenes to have Bdsm in them. The story started a bit slow for me, and had a few slow moments throughout, but it did get better for me. I enjoyed the book and after the cliffhanger ending, I need to find out what happens next. I'm so happy I don't have to wait for the next book to come out!