Review: Light in the Shadows by A. Meredith Walters

Light in the Shadows - A. Meredith Walters

♥♥♥ 4.5 Beautiful STARS ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"The thing about the shadows is that they're not all darkness. You need to have light to have shadows. Just look for it."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

This story was heart achingly beautiful. So much has changed since the first book, and I am so happy to see the growth in both Maggie and Clay.

After the way the first book ended--which in my opinion was for the best--I absolutely needed to know if there would be a way for their relationship to work. Maggie is going through a "mourning" phase after Clay left. She doesn't know how Clay is doing at the facility, he has never tried to comunicate with her and she doesn't know how to communicate with him. She feels depressed, alone, and like her heart is completely shattered. Her friends Rachel and Daniel try to get her to move on and live her life. With time, she becomes stronger and more sure of herself. She still misses Clay and thinks she will always have a part of her that will love him always. But now she is taking the steps to move on.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“There is more beauty inside you than in anyone I have ever met. These pictures don’t lie. I won’t ever forget you. Or stop loving you. You can ask me to. You can tell me to move on. But I won’t. And I never will. Just don’t forget how beautiful we were. How beautiful we can still be.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I understood where Maggie was coming from. I understood her sadness and anger. I felt for her because she knew absolutely nothing about Clay's well being. But I also very much wanted her to not continue to be consumed by him. I wanted her to find her independence and to learn how to make herself happy without needing Clay. I was happy that she had a support system in her friends and family. It was a slow progress but she did become more stronger. She was able to stand up for herself when she needed to.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"You are everything good in my life. Even when I thought all I had was the darkness, you were there. And you gave ma something to live for. I couldn't let you go. No matter how hard I tried. I know now that's because to lose you would be losing the very best part of myself."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Clay is at a facility getting the help that he so desperately needed. He has made an amazing progress when compared to the guy he use to be. Each day is still a struggle for him. He still has bouts of depression, self-hatred, and the need to cut. But he has learned some coping methods to stay away from all that negativity. He is determined to become the man that Maggie deserves. He didn't fool himself into believing that he would be cured in three months. But he has gotten so much better.

I liked the way the author handled Clay's condition. The way Clay--even Maggie---grew, was really believable and really tough. It wasn't easy for them at all.

There was a tragedy that caused Clay and Maggie to reunite. I liked the way their relationship was rekindled and how they went slowly this time. They didn't go at it in a reckless hard and fast pace like in the last book. They thought long and hard before finally agreeing to try again.

I felt for Clay because the tragedy really affected him. But I liked that Clay really focused on his recovery, which is why he didn't want to burden Maggie by telling her how he was doing. Even when this tragedy struck, he still was able to call his doctor to chat about his feelings.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“My love for this beautifully broken, yet slowly healing boy, made me strong... I would never move on from Clay. My soul belonged with him, was so entangled in him that I was no longer a single being.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I really appreciated Clay's POV--something we didn't have in the last book. I was able to understand him more. There were even a few glimpses of how he must have thought or felt in the first book that caused him to lose control. I liked how mature Maggie and Clay have become and seeing them learn how to handle their relationship. Since it was all so familiar to them, it was easy to fall back into their old ways that were destructive. They managed to stay strong, and I was so freaking happy about that.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“I love you, Maggie May Young. Always and forever.” And then my mouth touched hers and I felt my future begin.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

They're journey to finding the light was a long one, and they still have a long way to go. I really enjoyed this second book more than the first. But the story as a whole was beautifully done. It was done in a realistic manner that caused me so much pain reading it. But it was all worth it in the end to see these two characters find happiness. It was an emotional ride, for sure. The only thing that still pisses me off is Clay's parents. I couldn't believe how they treated and continued to treat Clay. I am so happy Clay now has Maggie, Ruby, and his friends in his life. I was smiling so much with that ending. Especially the epilogue, I loved it! It was a great series. One you should give a try.