Review: Onyx By Jennifer L. Armentrout

Onyx  - Jennifer L. Armentrout

♥♥♥ 4 "Holy monkey balls that did not just happen." Stars ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“That's the funny thing about trying to escape. You never really can. Maybe temporarily, but not completely.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Okay...what the brown happened to Katy in this one?? Seriously, what happened?! I don't get it. *shakes head* Okay, moving on...this book picks up where the last book ended. If you haven't read the first book, don't read this review. It will be slightly spoilerish.

Okay, so for those of you who have, you know that Daemon has declared his feelings for Katy. But Katy is not convinced his feelings are true and that it is a byproduct of their weird connection. Daemon is persistent in trying to show Katy that his feelings are genuine. In fact, he bets she will tell him that she feels the same by New Year's Day. However, Katy is determined to stay away from him. But with the Department of Defense aka "DOD" in town. She may need to stay close so they don't find about the connection they share. Add in a new guy in town, that has gone through the same changes from a connection to an alien, and of course it can only result in jealousy. As more discoveries are made, and more changes occur, they realize that not everyone can be trusted, even the ones they already do.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

'I couldn't get enough of him--never could. I couldn't remember feeling this way about anyone else. I couldn't remember being kissed like this by anyone else. I'm not sure how long we kissed, but it seemed like forever, and at the same time, it wasn't long enough.'

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Well, this one was really good, but for some reason I may have like the first book a bit more. I liked that this one was less "Twilight-ish" than the first. I hate comparing but the structure of the first book was quite similar to it, but not exact. So, that I was happy about. But...what I didn't like was that I felt Katy changed in this book. Where in the first book she came off as smart and strong, in this one she was annoying me for make one bad decision after another. She gave her trust to people that didn't deserve it, while the ones that did and had proven it, she tried to push away. It was really frustrating. Katy goes through some changes inside her. She is able to do things she wasn't able to do since Daemon healed her. Things that scare her and make her think she is becoming one of them. She needs to control it or they will all be exposed.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“Jesus.” Blake rubbed his throat. “You have anger management problems. Its like a disease.”

“There’s a cure and it’s called kicking your ass.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

This is when Blake comes into the picture. He is a new to town and seems to be interested in Katy. Katy soon finds out that they have something in common, he has been healed by an alien too. He has also developed abilites but has learned how to control and manipulate it. I didn't know what to think of him at first, but very quickly became distrustful of him. After, Daemon constantly warned Katy about him, she still trusts him enough to train her with her abilities. This is when I became irritated with her. Daemon became jealous of the time they spent together, and she spent less and less time with Dee, which hurt her feelings. In the end, I really disliked Blake because of the methods he used to train her. I didn't understand why she kept training with him after everything he kept doing to her.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"If there is anything, there is us."

"And what does 'us' really mean?"

"You and me. No one else."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Daemon I still LOVE him to pieces and even more now. He WASN'T a jerk...YAY!! He actually made me swoon a few times. Loved him! He is conflicted about his feelings for Katy. He knows he loves her and wants to prove that to her. He wants her to know he has had feelings for her since the start. But the presence of Blake causes him to be jealous and possessive of Katy. He wants to train her and protect her, but can't really do it when she refuses it. Again, I don't know why she refused. I get she wants to learn how to defend herself and protect Daemon, but why couldn't he train her instead of Blake? I felt bad for my Daemon. Like I said before, if she doesn't want him...I will totally have him! With the DOD in town, he feels the need to protect his sister Dee and Katy more so, while also trying to find out what happened to his brother Dawson.

“Say it."
"Say what?"
"Tell me what you told me earlier."
"I love you."
"That's all I ever need to hear."
"Those three words?"
"Always those three words.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

The storyline was really good, and I enjoyed it. I was hooked from the start. But, Katy did kind of ruin my enjoyment of it. I still like her, but I hope she redeems herself in the next book. I very much LOVED Daemon in this one. The chemistry between them was still very much present and scorching hot, which I freaking loved. There was some sad moments, as well as funny ones. Alot of new information is revealed that alters the story, some of it shocked me. That ending was crazy!! I didn't know what to think at first and then that happens!! I will not spoil it, but it's a pretty big thing. The storyline of this book concludes in the end, but there are still many loose threads to follow. I am so addicted this series. I can't wait to read the next one and find out what happens next. And read more about my sexy Daemon. *wink*