Review: The Backup Boyfriend By River Jaymes

The Backup Boyfriend - River Jaymes

♥♥♥ 4.5 "No to Labels" STARS ♥♥♥

"Backup boyfriend?"

"You know. The Boyfriend substitute, at least that's how I use the term. He's not a real boyfriend, just a convenience. For display purposes only. Sometimes used to make the ex jealous."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

This book was SO good. Seriously, didn't expect it to be this good. But the characters... I just LOVE Alec and Dylan. And, if they are together... EVEN BETTER!!

Alec has broken up with his boyfriend. He is sad, and still hoping to get him back. But then he finds out his ex Tyler has moved on and is dating someone. Alec is even more depressed and wants to change things up in his life a bit. So, he "impulsively" buys a motorcycle that does not work very well. His gay friend Noah recommends going to see Dylan, the owner of a motorcycle garage, to help him with his motorcycle that won't start. Somehow, these two form a friendship. Then Dylan comes up with a plan to pretend to date Alec, in order to make Tyler jealous. They didn't count on both of them developing feelings for one another.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"Right now I'm choosing to be with Dylan."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Alec, the sweet, adorkable Alec. I LOVED him! Alec was a doctor that focused on gay health, who had problems somtimes when it came to thinking about himself and his wants. I was sad for him about his split with Tyler. But once Dylan entered the picture... I was like "Tyler, who?" I loved how Alec was around Dylan. He was carefree, sometimes bold, and I loved his quirky intelligence. He made me smile so many times. Any scene with him and Dylan... always made me giddy like a school girl, that I was SO happy with how much time together they were spending.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"What does that even mean?" Agitated, Dylan strode a few steps away before turning to pace back. "Fifty percent gay? Fifty percent straight? Can I be ninety percent of one? Ten percent of the other? I’m not part this or part that. I’m just me." He came to a halt in front of Alec. "A hundred percent whole me."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I friggin' LOVED Dylan also. He had his issues and was quite broken from his past... which was not a great one. He lost his best friend to HIV and hasn't ever really recovered from it. I loved how possessive Dylan could be at times. I loved how goofy and funny he was with Alec. And it was quite refreshing to see a character that is "straight" be gay for someone without so much hesitancy. So there was no drama about... "I'm not gay.. I love boobs and vajayjay, blah, blah, blah." He was definitely shocked, but went along with his feelings for Alec. I really liked that.... A LOT.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"Topping is like the Sky Rocket of roller-coasters, but bottoming is like a wild ride on the Screamin' Demon Express. I promise, you'll love it."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

They steamy scenes were explosive!! Seriously... SCORCHING... CALIENTE!!! Well, too me they were anyways. *fans self* So, that part definitely didn't disappoint. I loved the writing style and how things were described. That is what made it so damn enjoyable to see Alec and Dylan turn from friends to lovers. All the characters were great, even the sometimes annoying Noah was awesome. Heck, I even liked the ex Tyler by the end of this book.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"Actually, there's really only one thing I need you to call yourself."

"What's that?"

"Mine."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I laughed, I hurt, I smiled so big, and my ereader fogged up so bad. It was a great romantic story, with just a bit of drama to keeps things interesting without becoming too much. At times a little too sweet, but I don't care. I still loved the crap out his book. I recommend every hopless romantic m/m reader should definitely give this a try. I can't wait to see what else comes out of this series because I will for sure be checking it out.