Review: Truce: The Historic Neighbor From Hell By R.L. Mathewson

Truce: The Historic Neighbor from Hell - R.L. Mathewson

♥♥♥ 4.5 Wonderful Bradford Historical Stars ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

'This was bad. This was very bad(...) His body yearned for her in every possible way. He enjoyed her quick wit and sharp tongue. She could be funny and he knew that she was kind. This was beyond horrible. He hated the woman. She was his enemy.

His enemy.'

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Jason Bradford is celebrating his fifth wedding anniversary with his wife Haley. In order to do that, he must make her a necklace that has become a Bradford tradition. Jason's father tells the tale of how it all began.

● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

'He couldn't stand this. The one woman in the world that he shouldn't want was the one woman he was discovering that he couldn't live without. She was becoming an obsession for him and he was powerless to do anything about it.'

● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

Elizabeth and Robert Bradford have disliked each other since they were kids. They use to tease and prank each other constantly. Things went too far and haven't seen or talked to each other for around fifteen years. Now Elizabeth is woman how is forced to attend balls in order to find herself a husband with a title. She doesn't want to get into a loveless marriage that is purely convenience. She wants her independence and to help those in need, not to be someone's property.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

'He never allowed anyone to get close to him, didn't trust anyone. He couldn't understand how she consumed his every wish and desire. He wanted to hold her all night and keep her safe from harm, something that he'd never wanted to do with another woman.'

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

While attending a ball, Elizabeth and Robert finally meet again. They both escape the party and find each other in secluded place. They tell each other what they desire in life and share an intimate moment that will changes theirs lives completely. All the while, not knowing the others true identity. When they find out who they really are, they are stunned. All that hate resurfaces, and they vow that the passionate moment that they had shared will never happen again. But Robert soon finds he must stay at Elizabeth's family home. He can't escape her.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"When was I near death?" he asked in stunned disbelief..."How could you forget all those times that I could barely move? When I struggled to find the will to live(...) Did my struggle for survival mean nothing to you?" he demanded.

"Do you mean those few times when you had a touch of seasickness?" she asked.

"A
touch?" he repeated in disbelief. "I nearly died!"

"Because you were forced to miss breakfast a few times?"

"It was hell! Pure hell!"

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Robert Bradford is just as hilarious as his great, great, great, great...etc. grandsons. We finally find out where they all get their outrageous appetites come from. As well as their alpha like ways. He has come along way since his, 'Robert Lemonade' days. But he still loves teasing Elizabeth. He can't help it, he enjoys seeing her riled up. I couldn't stop laughing at how Robert would exaggerate things, or how childish he was. Sound familiar? Yeah, and he eats crazy amounts of food. I was glued to this book just waiting to read the stuff that they would do to each other and their awesome banter that was highly entertaining.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

'She was so damn beautiful, so kind and sweet. She made him so damn happy. He couldn't imagine going a single day without seeing her, holding her, kissing her or showing her just how much he loved her.'

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Robert's oldest brother James is looking for a new wife and he has his sights on Elizabeth. Elizabeth use to have a huge crush on James when she was a child, but now she doesn't feel the same way for him. Robert will try to do whatever he can to keep them apart. Again, I laughed at the stunts Robert would pull. I also LOVED that we got his POV because it just made it that much better. I liked the romance and chemistry between Robert and Elizabeth. I couldn't get enough of them together. They finally call a truce and try to get along with each other. There were some very sweet moments and some great steamy moments as well. Elizabeth truly was a minx. The things she did to Robert, and he wasn't complaining.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"I love you, Robert," Elizabeth whispered as she pulled herself up just enough so that she could brush her trembling lips against his.

"I love you more, minx," he said against her lips.

"Probably," she easily agreed as she wrapped her arms around his neck and moved to deepen their kiss.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I have read and enjoyed many historical romance books in the past. This one was just as great. It was wonderfully written. I became addicted to the story and the characters. I didn't want to put this down. It had the humour from the other books that I thoroughly enjoyed. The ending was super sweet and had me smiling really big. I sighed and laughed reading this book. It was an awesome short light read. I recommend this one to everyone, don't let the historical aspect of this book dissuade you from reading it. It was really great, so, if this genre isn't your thing I think you should just give it a try.