Review: Truth By Aleatha Romig

Truth  - Aleatha Romig

♥♥♥ 4.5 'WOW' Stars ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"You’re memory is a monster; you forget – it doesn’t. It simply files things away. It keeps things for you, or hides things from you – and summons them to your recall with a will of it’s own. You think you have a memory; but it has you!"

-- John Irving

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Seriously... WOW! This series continues to BLOW my mind. I have no idea how to review this, so if it sucks... sorry.

I start this book with the intention of continuing my hate for Tony and watching Claire get sweet, sweet revenge. So when it begins, I loathe Tony for what he did to Claire. If you read my review of the first book, you know just how much I really hate him. When Claire is liberated from prison, I am so beyond happy that she can finally do something to retaliate. I love that she researches and tries to recreate the mystery box of information she had recieved when she was incarcerated. I love that Claire has Amber and then later on Harry for support. Two people who seem to truly believe in her. And so the ball starts rolling, or should I say, the game of chess begins...

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"In their figurative game of chess, Anthony Rawlings had Claire in check. Every move she made, he countered."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“Mr Anthony Rawlings had a lesson to learn and Claire claimed the role as teacher.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

In the beginning, I had so much hope in Claire. I knew she could do it and possibly best Tony in the game. I knew Tony was intelligent, but I felt Claire was often underestimated. Plus I loved the backbone she developed in this one. I liked her interactions with Harry. I really liked him a lot. At one moment I thought he could be really good for her, totally different from what she had with Tony. I also loved that Courtney and Brent were totally supportive of her. Even the hired creeper ended up helping Claire, with some blackmaile of course. But it seemed she had all her 'chess pieces' where she needed them to be to carry out her plan. I loved the way she was able to make things go in her favor. Still, there were many moments I was a bit annoyed with Claire for how weak she seemed at times. But like I said, others underestimated her... even I did.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“This is why I haven’t answered all of your questions. You may think you’re ready for answers, but you’re not. Bits and pieces may help you understand. But, the blatant truth is too much.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Oh, how I hate Tony. I got so paranoid in the beginning of this book. Whenever something happened, I instantly thought it was him. I was so freaking scared of him. He wouldn't stop stalking claire. Then, I got a upset with her because Tony has a way of getting to her. I was like 'NOOOOO! STAY AWAY FROM HIM! STAY STRONG!' (Yes I may have shouted that at my Kobo. Sorry Kobo) I didn't understand how she could melt for him after ALL he did to her. But she did, and soon the unthinkable happened... I LIKED HIM TOO!! I know!! I was shocked! I didn't happen in one page but still it happened. What is wrong with me?? I have no idea, but Tony turned around near the end. He was 'trying' for her. I will say though, It was really hard for me to accept what he was saying when it came to his feelings. I didn't know if he was playing her again. But I just couldn't help but believe him. He isn't perfect, but he has definitely changed. There was one scene in particular that made me cry for him. I wanted to hug him so bad that's how bad I felt for him. I KNOW! That's crazy! I still don't know how it happened, but I am now on his team. Which really scares the crap out of me. I hope he stays this new Tony for good.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

His glaring abyss penetrated as he demanded, "Say it!"

Her emerald eyes begged for understanding, uncertain of what he wanted.

"Say you are mine and nobody else's."

Her voice resonated above his growl, "Yes, Tony,
you are mine and nobody else's."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Two new characters were introduced in this book. Derek and Sophia. We were able to get glimpses of Nathaniel's life and how he had a lover, Marie. We were given some new information that finally revealed some of the truth. I knew Derek and Sophia were somehow connected to the past. Almost near the beginning I knew who Sophia would end up being. I ended up being correct. I'm still scared what the future will hold for them. Because it seems someone's revenge is not over and they are now the targets. I was suspicious in who it was that was behind it all. I had an inkling that is was Marie. But I wasn't sure where she was. After some clues throughout the book, I figured out who and where she was. I couldn't believe Claire hadn't seen it sooner. I was so shocked when I figured it out because I really liked this character. I couldn't believe I was decieved.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“I think it was a game to both of you, a real life chess game. Every move you made he countered. In order to get his king, you sacrificed your queen, a bold move. One I believe will work. But at what cost?”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

The ending totally STUNNED me. I was not expecting that ending. There were so many twists that messed up with my mind completely. I didn't know what to expect next. I felt all sorts of emotions. I was happy, confused, angry, frustrated, and then more confused. The writing was just brilliant! Absolutely loved the writing and how it was able to keep me enthralled with this story that I didn't want to put it down. I didn't think I would end up liking Tony and I did, no matter how much I resisted. Still, I don't love him... but maybe in book three... we'll see. This book was one crazy ride and I loved every moment of it. I must say, I enjoyed this book better than the first. I still can't believe a character I liked ended up being the biggest evil bitch ever. I can't wait to read the next book. I hope Tony and Claire get their HEA. AND... I hope I get some answers because now I have more questions with that ending. I'm so happy the third installment is out or else the wait would have killed me. An absolute great read. I definitely recommend this book if you don't mind getting mind fucked.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered. The trick is to discover them."

-- Gallolao