Promises - Marie Sexton

♥♥♥ 4 "I PROMISE" STARS ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Finally, she took a deep breath and said, “Jared, let me say two things, and then I’ll never mention this ugly incident again.”

“Do I have a choice?”

“No, you don’t. The first is this: you can’t control what others think. The only thing you can control is yourself. Some people will look down on you for your choices in life, no matter what they are. You can’t do anything about that. The only thing you can do is decide how to live your own life. And to hell with everybody else."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Promises takes place in a small town of Coda, Colorado. Here is where Jared Thomas resides. He is an openly gay man, in a town where acceptance is not very common, at least when is comes to most of the men. Jared has given up his dreams of teaching because of it. He works in his family's instead. One day he meets Matt Richards, the newly hired police officer, when he shows up interested in Lizzie's (his brother's wife) car, that has a 'for sale' sign on it. From that moment on, they have been pretty much inseperable. Jared wants more, but Matt firmly states that he is not gay.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I went to him, put my arms around him, and kissed him, just barely. “Matt, this is what I want. I do want you here with me. It’s not just about sex. I’m crazy about you, and there’s nothing I want more than for us to be together.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

The whole story was told in Jared's Pov. I really liked him from the start. He seemed comfortable being himself but he still kept himself in a bubble to protect himself from getting hurt by the people surrounding him that could judge him. I was saddened by his loneliness. All he really had was his wonderful family and the mountains to keep him company. I really wanted him to loosen up a bit because he could be a bit uptight at times. Matt slowly got him to not care and live freely. But otherwise, he was intelligent, sweet and caring. I fell for him by the all the adorkable ways in which he would crush on Matt.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“Whatever this is with me and you, it’s so much more, and I can’t make it go away.”

“Matt, why does it have to go away?”

“I’m so confused, Jared. Even now, all I can think about is how much I want to touch you. And I just have no idea what to do about it.”

“I do, Matt. I know exactly what to do about it. Come in the bedroom with me and let me show you what we can do about it.” I leaned in and kissed him, just barely brushing my lips against his. “Please, Matt? Trust me. Please don’t turn away from this.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I thought Matt was awesome. But I will admit I was confused by him at times. Forget the closet, he was locked in a safe sealed nice and tight. He kept saying he was not gay, but there were so many times I thought he had to be. And it was for good reason, he just didn't want to admit it to himself. I really wished we would have gotten his pov at certain times. I wanted to know what he was feeling. Jared gets him to slowly accept his desires and not feel shame. Which is what he felt thanks to the asshole of his drunkard father. Matt was a fun character, a little lost at times but when he does something, he gives it his all.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“What’s so funny?” I asked him.

“You talk in your sleep.”

Oh shit! Of course, I knew that I sometimes talked while dreaming, and I tried to sound very casual as I asked, “What did I say?” I was hoping like hell it hadn’t been about him.

“You said, ‘let me follow it’, and I asked ‘follow what?’, and you said, ‘the trail’.”

I turned away so he couldn’t see me turning red and said, “I was dreaming about mountain biking.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I LOVED they two characters together. The banter between them, how comfortable they were with each other, just pretty much their chemistry. I would giggle at how Jared seemed to love Matt's happy trail, or how Matt found comfort in tugging slightly on Jared's curly locks. They were so freaking adorable. I wanted them to be that way forever and it seems that they agreed. It was so cute how they didn't want to ever be apart. I loved how supportive Jared's family was, but so angry at how much of a bigoted arse Matt's father was. I really felt for him, it's no wonder he didn't want to come out. I am so glad that they had each other when things got tough. They are seriously a great couple. Oh and I forgot, they love to cuddle! *sigh*

“Say it for me.”
“You’re heavy.”
“No.”
“You’re a manipulative bastard.”
“No.” He was laughing.
“You’re right.”
He gave one hard tug on my hair. “That’s not it either.”
“I love you?”
He sighed contentedly. “That’s the one.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Overall, it was a really sweet book, maybe a bit too sweet at times, but still I managed to love it. The ending was really heart warming and cute. I wish it would have continued, I enjoyed these characters that much. A great read and I loved the pace in which everything occured. I definitely recommend it. It's also great for those starting in the genre.