A Beautiful Lie - Tyler Robbins
****4.5 Heartbreakingly Beautiful Stars****

"When you look at me like that, I--" Jesse shuddered. "--I'd almost risk anything."
Trip gave in and pressed his lips to Jesse's palm. "Go, before I do something stupid and kiss you."

Jesse Reagan's life hasn't been exactly easy. He is a closeted gay living in a small town with his sister Joclyn and her five year old son Jeremy. His best friend's --Eric Cantrell-- brother --Trip Cantrell-- comes back to town after leaving their small town as soon as he graduated. Jesse has always had a big crush on him and now finds his feelings for Trip rekindling but he's not sure Trip feels the same way.

Trip is also a closeted gay, who has come back to his roots after living an unsatisfying life in the city. He feels like something is missing but he doesn't know exactly what it is. When he sees Jesse, the attraction for his younger brother's best friend is intense. He doesn't know for sure if Jesse may be interested in men but Trip is willing to find out.

When things seem to be finally going well in Jesse's life now that Trip is in it, they recieve another blow. Joclyn once again has cancer. Jesse doesn't think he can handle a relationship and risk being discovered as well as take care of his sister and her son. But then they find out that someone has been keeping a secret.

A Beautiful Lie was truly a wonderful story. When I read the blurb I thought I would get a sweet story with a bit of heart ache about two guys falling in love but I didn't expect what I got. Yes, it was sweet but it was also so heartbreaking, and very steamy! I was able to connect with the characters from the start and didn't want to put it down. There were also some twists in the plot that made it very entertaining.

"I think Jesse's probably the most amazing guy I've ever known... I'd probably fall more in love with him than I already am."

Jesse was an overall great guy. He was supportive and caring to those that are important to him. He had to deal with a lot at his young age, with taking caring of his sick sister and helping raise her son, but he never complained about having those responsibilites. I thought he really deserved to find his own happiness and I was so happy he found it with Trip. It was so sad to see him find out the truth and I totally understood why he would be so angry.

"Jess, I'll be here as long as you want me."
Jesse eased backward and sat on the bed. "Good, because I've never wanted you more than I do tonight."

Trip I really loved! He was the one most affected by the lie and I liked the way he dealt with it. He was strong, loving and a really big person for being able to forgive. I felt it was so unfair all that was kept from him. I also didn't like how Jocelyn acted towards him when it wasn't even his fault. I don't think he deserved it. I loved watching him fall in love with Jesse, though, it was really beautiful!

Eric was the "never going to grow up" best friend. He was super funny and a very laid-back guy. He never really had a family growing up and felt alone once Trip left town. So now, the only family he knows is Jesse, Joclyn and Jeremy and he would do anything to protect them. I really liked him from the start but I did become annoyed with him a little bit because he was turning really selfish. I know he was just really confused about all the emotions he had kept hidden for so long and I ended up really liking him once I knew why.

Jocelyn I felt bad for because of how her life seemed to be surrounded by tragedy, but I didn't like the way she seemed to manipulate everyone. I thought she was brave and tough for pretty much raising herself and her brother Jesse. I don't know how she could do it. She was the one keeping a big secret from everyone and I don't like that she kept that from everyone for so long. I just didn't understand her judgement and anger towards Trip. I think she should have let people make their own decisions. Still, I found her to be a good character.

Overall, it was an amazing m/m read. It was really high in the steam department and the story was really fantastic. I definitely recommend all those m/m readers give this a try.