Consequences  - Aleatha Romig
***4 Mind Exploding Stars***

I really don't know what I just read. I have never felt so many emotions from reading one book, but the strongest was definitely hate... Holy Crap did I freaking HATE!! I mean, I REALLY wanted to do bodily harm to Tony... slowly... UGH, I feel crazy!

"Experience: is the most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my god, do you learn." --C. S. Lewis

Okay... deep breath.. here I go. The story starts with Claire Nichols, she's just an average twenty-six year old woman. She use to work as a meteorologist but then was let go with a lot of other people when the Channel was sold. One day working at a bar, she meets an attractive charming man, Anthony Rawlings. His name is familiar to her but she doesn't know from where. He somehow was able to get her to go out on a date with him where he is kind and attentive, very gentlemanly until she wakes up and realizes she has been abducted. At this point, I'm already feeling scared.

Anthony 'Tony' Rawlings sets his rules straight from the start. He beats her, rapes her, and abuses her mentally just as he did to her physically. She is kept in a suite in his mansion for a long period of time until he slowly starts ease up on her confinement. Tony is a manipulative, controlling, mental, sadistic monster, and also a really intelligent man. And I loathed him for it. He was so freaking scary about him requiring to always have control and how she needed to follow his rules or there would be consequences, which were mostly brutal and violent. But he explains to her that not all her actions have negative consequences, some can be very rewarding, if she behaves correctly.

Follow my rules: number one, do as you are told, do not divulge personal information, actions have consequences, appearances are of vital importance, and public failure is not an option.

I was so frustrated with Claire. I wanted her to do so many things that could have given her a chance to escape but she didn't do it. I know that she was scared and that all his torments is what made her compartmentalize everything so that she could survive. I felt so bad for her and I kept rooting for her to find a way to escape. I hated that she stayed and I couldn't stop screaming at her to leave, while she had the chance!

To the rest of the world, Anthony Rawlings is a mega-successful self-made billionaire who donated to charity, is always perfectly presented and never puts a foot wrong. To Claire Nichols, he is her captor. Her abductor. Her tormentor. And also the man she is falling for.

The first part of the book, had me completely hooked. I couldn't put this down, even when the events that took place were terrible. This book wasn't without flaws, however, I felt like somewhere after Claire's accident to about 75%, felt a little drawn out with too much facts on their daily lives that I didn't think was really needed and it wasn't able to hold my interest like the first part. But it all changed once we got to 80%. OMG!! I was a complete 'freaking out' mess!

I seriously could not believe what was happening. I didn't see this coming at all. I had a feeling and ideas that were somewhat accurate of what would happen, but how could I not see this coming? I felt fear, anger, frustration, sadness, revulsion and more anger from reading this. All I kept screaming was HOW COULD HE FREAKING DO THIS TO HER, THAT @!%^$^*&!! I did a lot at screaming at my poor Kobo. We will both be needing a lot of therapy after this.

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life. Define yourself. -- Harvey Fierstein

That ending was really mind blowing! I've got to say, I give props to Aleatha Romig for being able to evoke so many emotions from me. I can't wait to read the next one, but I will be definitely taking a break for awhile. I was just left completely drained! I like the change that we see in Claire in the end. She is finally independent and getting stronger. Is it bad that I am kind of happy that she may be a little evil now? I am so excited to see how Claire will come back to get revenge! Mwahahahaha!

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."