Forbidden - Tabitha Suzuma
♥♥♥ 5 Heart Mutilating Stars ♥♥♥

I AM BAWLING AND SHAKING! WHEN WILL IT STOP? *SOBS UGLY TEARS*

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see, but you cannot close your heart to the things you do not want to feel.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I don't think I can even write a review after reading this tragic heart wrenching story. All I know is I will be remembering this book for a long time.

Forbidden is a story of 'forbidden love', a love between brother and sister. After, their father abandons them and their alcoholic selfish mother is too preoccupied living her life than caring for her children, Lochie and Maya Whitely are left to care of their siblings. Lochie is a seventeen year old boy, he is an intelligent and mature but everyone thinks he's a freak. He doesn't talk. The thought of talking to anyone besides those in his family frightens him and makes him ill. The only one that supports and understands him is Maya. She has always felt more than a sister to him, she is his best friend.

Soon they find that being surrogate parents to a rebelious thirteen year old --Kit, an energetic young boy --Tiffin, and an attention seeking baby sister --Willa, is too much for them to handle. They find the support they need in each other to make sure that their family doesn't fall apart. As their mother shows up less and less, and with little money for food, bills and clothing, they must go under the radar because they are at risk of Social Services separating them if they knew. While all of this is happening, Lochie and Maya find comfort in each other and very slowly start to fall in love with each other.

What a story! Even though, I may not agree with it or understand completely the relationship that Lochie and Maya had, I found myself rooting for their love. I started to question what I was brought up to think was right and wrong. I felt so conflicted, I knew what my mind was telling me to think, but my heart was telling me that they should be allowed to love each other. They weren't harming anyone. Everything they did was consensual. The heart wants what it wants, they had no control over it. So, how was it so wrong?

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“How-how can we make it against the whole world?”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“At the end of the day it's about how much you can bear, how much you can endure. Being together, we harm nobody; being apart, we extinguish ourselves.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

The characters felt so real to me. I loved Lochie, with his awkardness and sweetness. He did have a temper that sometimes come out of nowhere, but I understood why. He had been putting up a brave face for everyone, keeping his emotions inside, that it was bound to come out the way it did.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“There are no laws, no boundaries on feelings.We can love each other as much and as deeply as we want.No one, Maya, no one can ever take that away from us.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Any hurt they felt, I felt deeply aswell. I came to really care about Lochie and Maya, I wanted them to get over their fears and be successful in the future. I wanted them all to be a happy family. I didn't want to see them all ever be apart. I wanted their love to triumph.

I loathed the, so-called "mother" for not being a part of their lives anymore. I couldn't fathom how she could just leave them, how she couldn't care if they were hurt or had any accomplishments. I hated their father for never checking on them, now that he had a new family. I just don't get how they could be so heartless. I really HATED them both.

I was saddened for the three younger siblings. All they wanted was a family that would love, listen, and understand them. I was at first upset by how Kit would lash out at everyone. But he just didn't know what else to do with all the feelings he had inside. He was still a kid after all.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“Everyone else is permitted to have what they want, express their love as they please, without fear of harassment, ostracism, persecution or even the law. Even emotionally abusive, adulterous relationships are often tolerated, despite the harm they cause others. In our progressive, permissive society, all these harmful, unhealthy types of 'love' are allowed - but not ours.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

The ending was absolutely devastating. My heart ached from being shattered and beaten so badly. I couldn't breathe. I kept crying my eyes out. Why did it have to end that way? But the story was just so wonderfully written, it was able provoke such strong emotions and thoughts from me. If you decide to give this a try, my advice would be to be prepared with many boxes of tissues. You're gonna need it.

~Buddy read with Pervy Melissa, Pavlina, and Rosa~