At Peace (The 'Burg, #2) - Kristen Ashley

♥♥♥ 5 BRILLIANT STARS ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"I got older and that changed and all I wanted was a good woman and a family. All my life, with a slight variation on theme, that's all I ever wanted. Buddy, you've given me both. You think, givin' me that, I could
ever balance those scales?"

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Oh Joe Callahan... How I LOVE you!! This guy... seriously... one of my all time favourite Kristen Ashley Alpha males. At first I thought he was a jerk. I was like, 'why do all these people like him so much?'. His fanclub was HUGE. Just when I thought I would be the minority and wouldn't love Joe like everyone did. We get his back story and my heart breaks so bad for him. No wonder he was such an asshole. He was broken by what happened and had pretty much given up on anything good ever coming his way. He didn't think he deserved happiness because he thought that what happened in the past was his fault. So he kept pushing Violet Winters, the widow next door with whom he has a sexual relationship with, away.

"What's beyond love?"

"Don't understand the question, Vi."

I didn't explain. Instead I said, "Whatever it is, that's what I feel for you."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Violet Winters suffered some tragedies of her own. The most recent being the death of her husband and highschool sweetheart, Tim. But what I loved about her was that she was able to pick herself up and move forward for her daughters. She was a great mother despite her own parents not being there for her when she got pregnant very young. She always tried to stay positive. When she meets Joe because of the loud music coming from his house, she is intantly attracted to him and scared of him. Still, she finds she wants to get to know him better, and find out why he is so alone. No matter how many times he pushed her away, she tried to break through his barriers so she could love him. Of course, Joe has to ruin it all so she gives up on him. Then Joe realizes that what he had and just let go of, he will never get again so he tries to get her back.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"You're mine, the girls are mine. I'm stakin' my claim with you right now and, you force it, I'll do it with him too."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Joe totally redeems himself! He made me swoon and sigh so hard. He was freaking perfect. I loved how alpha and protective he was with Vi. She was trying to move on with Mike but that didn't end up happening with how persistent Joe was to ger her back. But what totally won me was his interactions with Vi's daughters Kate and Kierra. OMG!! That was so beautiful to see. And the great thing was that these girls loved him back. There never resented him or ever thought he was trying to take their father's place. They welcomed him with open arms almost instantly. This was because they thought he was a good man for their mother, and they didn't want her to be alone anymore. Such amazing girls. I also loved that he wanted to show the girls that they deserved great guys who would appreciate them and nothing less. I loved that he was always there for Vi. Seriously... I love Joe.

“I’m yours.”

That socked me in the gut too, so hard it winded me and all I could do was stare up at him. Taking advantage, his face dipped close and his hands curled around both sides of my head.

“First fuckin’ time you smiled at me in my bed, that’s when it happened,” he murmured. “You’re under my skin. I’m under yours.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Then came the scene that wrecked me. Vi suffers another tragedy that had me bawling!! My heart hurt, I couldn't believe it had happened. She had suffered enough. She went out of control and to be honest, I don't blame her. I probably would have reacted the same way. When I thought I couldn't possibly love Joe more, he shows up to offer his support to Vi and her daughters. I can't tell you how amazing that scene was. It was so weird how I felt so completely heart broken for what happened and yet, be so happy because of how wonderful Joe was. This was one of my favourite scenes in the book. Just because, it was beautiful seeing them altogether like that. Joe was an exceptional step-dad.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"Every bit of it. Every day, every week, every year, every fuckin' second, buddy," he kept muttering, his eyes intense, his face serious and my breath caught, "this. All of it. Worth the wait."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Overall, this book will be a part of my list of top best books by Kristen Ashley. I loved Joe. It was really emotional but there was some parts with humor and suspense that really grabbed your attention. I loved Joe. The sex was good and didn't overwhelm you. I loved Joe. All of the secondary characters were also really great. I really like how Kristen Ashley always provides a support system for the main characters. I loved Joe. I am really intrigued by Mike and I can't wait to read his story, as well as Benny's. I loved Joe. I definitely recommend you give this a read, especially if you love alphas because Joe won't disappoint. Oh, and before I forget, I really LOVED Joe.