Jane's Melody - Ryan Winfield

♥♥♥ 4.5 Sad Beautiful Stars ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“To love,” he said, “because love is always enough.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

After reading the blurb, I became really interested in what this book would be like. I was hesitant, not because of the age difference but because I didn't know how I would feel about a mother going out with her daughter's boyfriend. In the end I decided to give it a go.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“A mother’s not supposed to bury her daughter.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“Perhaps not all spirits are meant for this world, but they pass through anyway and change for the better those which are.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

The story began with Jane having a funeral for her estranged daughter Melody. She isn't sure she can ever stop the pain. She doesn't know what direction her life will take or if she even wants it to continue. What she does know is she wants to feel connected to Melody again. She wants to know what her life was like before she died. I felt really terrible for Jane. I can't imagine what it must be like to bury your own child. Especially when you weren't close and all you can think about is all the things you could have done to help your child live. I understood her need to hang on to her in some way. But I wanted her to move on more than anything. She sees a young man standing at her daughter's grave. Jane is curious about him, but before she can get to him, he is gone.

She goes in search for more information about her daughter's life. She crosses paths with that mysterious guy she saw and thinks he might have been Melody's boyfriend. His name is Caleb Cummings. He is a homless musician. Thinking she can get closer to her daughter through him, she invites him to move in with her and work in her jungle of a backyard to earn money.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“Don’t you let fear have a place in your life, J. Not even a tiny place. Get rid of it from every hidden corner. Chase it away with the truth, and do what you want to do while you can."

--Grace

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I liked Jane from the start. Her life hasn't been easy, but she always manages to move forward in some way. In this case, she hopes Caleb can help her because her grief is just too great. He ends up helping her put her pieces back together and so much more. I have never been bothered about reading books about a couple with a big age difference. Jane seemed to be insecure about it. She wasn't sure Caleb could really want a woman who has lived for 40 years when he is only almost 25 years old. I wished she wouldn't be hung up about it. Anyone could tell that they were perfect for each other. She also felt guilt for being happy when she should be sad. I also thought I wouldn't like the connection they had with Melody, but everything was dealt with a really good manner. So it didn't bother me at all. Jane definitely had to let go of her fears. She also discovered more things about herself as well as love for the first time in her life. I was so happy she had an awesome friend in Grace. Grace was an amazing woman, always there to offer advice.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“Love is this feeling I get when I look at you. A feeling that as long as you’re near me, or in the world even, the everything will be okay. ….Then I hear your voice, I saw your face, and somehow the color came into everything.”

--Caleb

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I was intrigued by Caleb from the moment he showed up in the book. But I did know that I loved his passion for music, talent for song-writing, and how sweet and loving he was. He wasn't afraid to work to get what he wants. He may have been homeless at the moment but not once did he complain. He still dreams of making it big, when he can save enough money to go to Austin, Texas. He was wonderful compliment to Jane's character. He never seemed too young to me, when compared to Jane. I think it's because he's had to suffer some hard times that he grew up quite fast. He was humourous and carefree. It's really hard not to love him.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"What did age matter, she wondered. Wasn't love timeless? If it wasn't, it should be."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I loved seeing Jane and Caleb together. And when it came down to the sex scenes, they were pretty steamy. I think Ryan Winfield did and amazing job with this story. I liked that there was a good balance between the happy and the sad moments that occured in this book. My only complaint would be that I needed more from the ending. It was just a bit too rushed. Otherwise, absolutely beautiful! I definitely recommend you read this excellent story about grief, love, and getting the strength to move on.