The Gamble (Colorado Mountain, #1) - Kristen Ashley

♥♥♥ 5 'Macho Mountain Man' Stars ♥♥♥

The Gamble takes place in a small town named Gnaw Bone, Colorado. This is the place Nina Sheridan goes to for a "timeout" from her fiancé Niles. When she arrives at the cabin she rented, she meets Max, the owner of the Cabin. Max only rents out the cabin when he isn't home, so there has been a mix up. He pretty much kicks her out of the cabin and tells her to go to a hotel. Nina gets pissed off then storms away only to get stuck in the snow and fall sick. Max finds her and takes care of her during her illness. He agrees to have her stay, and as time goes by, they start to fall for each other. But their lives are disturbed by the events that are occuring in town. One being a murder of man Max knew, and him being a suspect.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“You just need to know, I gotta fight to keep what we got so we can build on it, I will. Him, your Dad, you, I don’t give a fuck. In my life, I’ve learned when to let shit go and when to fight. This, babe, what we got, I’ll fight for.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

My sweet, sweet Holden 'Max' Maxwell... how I LOVED him. I want to be sick just so I can have him take care of me.... *sigh*. I melted with the way he cared for Nina while she was ill. He was domineering and very much an Alpha but it was never overbearing. He was super loving and I just wanted to kiss him for it. He took care of almost everyone in that town in some way. I loved the kisses to the forhead, him calling Nina "Duchess" and just pretty much anything he would do. And he does what every girl wants from her man... HE FREAKING LISTENS!! He made me swoon at how he remembered all the small things that had to do with Nina. He had a tragic past though, and still, he was kind and didn't stay bitter about what happened. I loved that he showed Nina how it's like to be in a relationship where she matters. He was just perfect... *dreamy smile* LOVED HIM!!

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"There was a time in my life where I used to roll the dice. I did it a lot and I always lost. Every time, I lost and when I lost, I lost everything. So I got scared of rolling the dice. Thank you for showing me it was worth taking a gamble again, darling. It feels good to finally win and win huge."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I really liked Nina 'Duchess' Sheridan. She was definitely a feisty nut but I loved that she had some backbone. This girl can really stand up for herself, even when she's facing someone bigger and scarier. She will defend those she cares about. She leaves England and her dumbass fiancé to find herself, to figure out her wants. I loved that even though her past was not a walk in the park either, she remained strong. Yes she had a shield, but she was still very loving to those around her. I'm so glad Max was able to breakdown her barrier because together they were so freaking adorable. I love how independent she was and how she supportive she was of Mindy. She was an amazing friend. I just loved her.

Their romance was definitely what had me glued to this book. But I was also quite interested with what was going on with the case of the murder of Curtis. I wanted to know who did it. It was like freaking clue, and I love that game. I suspected a person and then I was SO shocked to find out who the killer really was. I had quickly dismissed this person and that person ended up being it. What also had me interested was the story with Mindy and Jeff. I was so happy for her, she's been through so much and all I wanted was for her to be blissfully happy. I'm glad she found that with Jeff. Niles... He was a friggin' idiot!...Nuff said. Damon... I just wanted to castrate him... Nuff said. Shauna... I hated the bitch... Nuff said. Kami was a bitch in the beginning, and in a way, I'm glad she had to go through all that she did in order for her to see the light. She may not be 100% bitch free, but she became better. I loved Nina's family, especially her mom, she was a hoot. I also love how Kristen Ashley incorporated Nina's brother, Charles into the story, that was awesome!

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“You know, I do too,” I heard his gravelly voice rumble quietly.

“What?” I asked his throat.
He didn’t answer and when his silence lasted a long time, I lifted my head and looked down at his face to see he looked sated and serious.
“What do I know?” I queried.

His fingers stopped their roaming, one arm locked around my waist, the other hand slid up my spine and into my hair. His amazing gray eyes didn’t leave mine when he answered gently, “I do too. I said it the other day and I meant it.” His fingers tensed against my scalp. “I’m in love with you, Duchess.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

The ending was great. I liked how everything was resolved. But what I absolutely LOVED, was the epilogue. It was so adorably sweet. I had the hugest smile and a few tears. I loved it! I actually wanted to know more about Mindy and Jeff. But I am so happy with the HEA. I LOVED Max, I was surprised I really liked the heroine and the story was really entertaining. The only thing I could complain about would be the length. It was so long! But still, I really enjoyed it.