The Tied Man (The Tied Man, #1) - Tabitha McGowan

♥♥♥ 5 'Destroyed Me' Stars ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"It was easy to forget that other people lived in a world where rules and laws and common sense could keep you safe. A world where, if you did the right thing you were allowed to get on with your life in whichever way you chose."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I have no idea how to review this book. No bloody idea. This might end up being quite brief because I just don't know what to say. A lot of it might be repetetive, so sorry in advance, but my brain just can't function at the moment. All I know is, the writing was brilliant.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“I don't expect you to be like them. Don't want you to be. It's not them I want, it's you. From the moment we met, it's only been you.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Lilith Bresson is a renowned independent artist who lives in Spain. One day her piece of shite father, asks Lili to help him pay a debt to Lady Blaine Albermarle. She initially refuses but after her father threatens to get a restraining order to keep her from her much younger sibling, she relents. She then agrees to paint a portrait to pay the debt. Little did she know that in doing so, she would end up in hell. I loved how freaking blunt Lili was. She was herself and no one else, and of course she made no apologies for it. She was feisty and funny in a sarcastic way. She was strong and witty. I thought she was the perfect person to challenge the Mega bitch that is Blaine Albermarle. As well as the perfect person to show Finn what love is and how it feels to have someone care. I loved this character and getting to be in her mind.

“What did you call me?”

“Ah. A chuisle. Gaelic. 'My darling'. I prefer the proper translation, mind you.”

“Which is?”

He gave a bashful smile. “My pulse.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Oh my poor beautiful Finn Strachan. How I wanted to hug him and kiss him and make it all better for him. I wanted to desperately help him escape the nightmare he was living. Finn was an Irish man that fell into the hands of Blaine Albermarle and became her "companion". What he really was, was a play thing, sex toy to be used in whatever manner you wished to use him. Even if that meant causing him bodily harm. My heart hurt so DEEPLY for him. I cried at what was done to him. I became ANGRY at those who inflicted pain upon him. It teared me up completely. My heart was chewed up piece by piece and spit out. That's how much I hurt for this beautifully wonderful man. A lot of it was quite graphic, so be aware that this is most definitely not for everyone.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“Lili- no ones ever done anything like this for me. Ever. Are you hearing me? I sure as hell know I wouldn’t have taken the risks you did today just for a whore.”

“Don’t say that.”

“It’s what I am.”

“It’s what she makes you do. It’s not who you are.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Then there was the super MONSTER heartless bitch from hell, Blaine Albermarle. Oh, how I friggin' LOATHED her!! I'm not sure I've ever hated a character more. She was a sick sadistic twat. I seriously don't know what to say... HATE just doesn't seem enough. The things she let happen, the lies, the blackmailing, ARGH!! I get pissed off just thinking about it. I wanted a terrible end for this crazy witch, and even though I didn't get to see it, I hope she suffers for it all. Throughout the book, I was plotting bad things for this character. I am not a violent person, mind you (yeah, I know you can totally tell by this review, huh?) but she brought out the worst in me. I wanted to kill her and save my poor Finn and Henry. And that's all I'm going to say about her. BITCH!

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“I can’t do this alone, Finn. I need you beside me.”

Nobody had ever said that to me.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

This book has scarred me. I will never forget it. It terrifies me completely that I know stuff like this actually exists and it SICKENS me. I repeatedly kept asking myself why I chose to put myself through this and to just stop reading the damn book. But the thing is... I couldn't. As much as I wanted to, Finn and Lilith would not let me. I had to know what would become of them. From the moment I read the first page, I was hooked. I was shocked, hurt, angry, felt love, sorrow, and laughter. This book brought a wide range of emotions from me. That's what the writing did to me, it was that amazing. Yes, the story contained some HIDEOUS AND HORRIBLE content, but still the book was great. If I had to complain about anything in the book, it would probably be the ending. Not because it sucked, because in truth, it was beautiful and I LOVED that it wasn't overtly sweet. I mean it just wouldn't have felt real. But it did leave me wanting more. So, I would have liked an epilogue or something. Otherwise, a fantastic read.

Please note that this storyline contains depictions of drug abuse, violence and non-consensual sexual activity. This may not be suitable for everyone.