Relentless (Shattered Hearts, #1) - Cassia Leo

♥♥♥ 3.75 "Olive you" Stars ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“I guess we both had to lose something to find each other.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Relentless is about a nineteen year old girl named Claire who is just trying to move forward, day by day. Her upbringing was not an ideal one, but she was happy. That is, until her mother died of a drug overdose. From then on, she has been moved from one foster home to another. She finally finds a woman that cares about her and a son, Chris, that shows her what love is for the first time. Chris aspires to be a rock star, so she breaks up with him so she doesn't hold him back. One year later, she meets Adam, a surfer guy who can't seem to stay away from her. Very soon they start to fall for each other, but Claire is hiding a big secret.

When I started the book, it really intrigued me. You get a glimpse at what her life was like as a child with her drug addicted mother. They loved each other. I actually liked how much her mother cared about Claire. It moves back to the present where she works at a cafe and meets Adam. From then on, I had trouble connecting with the characters. I felt like their relationship was moving too fast. Especially when they didn't see much of each other during the week, only weekends. But I decided to see if things got a bit better.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

With every choice you risk the life you could have had. With every decision you lose it.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

What I liked about Claire Nixon was that she was independent and she was a good friend. Considering what she had gone through, which was really heartbreaking, she was still had a bit of a cheery personality. I loved that she references Titanic (because I totally do too!). When she meets Adam, she calls him Jack Dawson because of his good looks and well, because she didn't know his name. I liked that she was still very much strong. What I didn't like about her, was her meditation, which she did way too much. It was what she used to cope (which is fine by me), but she was overdoing it, trying to bury all her emotions deep inside instead of letting them out and confronting them. I didn't think she would love again, and it took her awhile but I'm glad that she did. The only thing that bothered me a bit was that once she accepted what she felt and willingly wanted to be open with Adam, she still held back valuable information from him. I understand why, but I really wanted her to trust him.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"I love you, Claire. I want to make you happier than you've ever been."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

When I first met Adam Parker, I thought he seemed like a really nice guy. He was freaking persistent, let me tell ya. No matter how many times Claire insisted she didn't want to date, he kept pursuing her with the "I just want to be friends" line. Of course, he wanted more, but he was biding his time. I can't say that I loved Adam, but I did get to really like him in the end. Because there was a point in which I thought, Claire might be better off without him. He has quite the temper which totally freaked me out, and I kept thinking... 'how does this not scare her and get her running'. He could be a bit hot and cold at times because of it, which usually I don't mind, but I didn't really like with him. Maybe it was because I had trouble understanding him. In the end I really liked him, and his sweet words, funny lame jokes, and how he was there for her when she finally opened up. They really worked together and I enjoyed seeing them interact.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"Claire I miss us. I still think about you every day."

"Don't do this."

"And you know what I think about? I think about how I can have any girl I want, except for you. How fucked up is that?..."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Then there was rock star Chris Knight. We got glimpses of him throughout the book through Clarie's flashbacks. I loved seeing how their relationship was like. I liked him instantly. He was super sweet and patient with Claire. He waited two years before they finally did the deed. They connected through music and that was a way for him to show her how he felt, through his lyrics. He shows up in the present time near the end during which the big secret is revealed. He still has feelings for Claire and remembers her constantly. He also wants her back and wants to make sure she stays. I don't know if the author did this on purpose, but if she did, she totally has me confused. Remember... I didn't "love" Adam, but I liked him. I also really liked Chris. NOW WHO THE HECK AM I SUPPOSE TO CHOOSE?? Don't worry, the story doesn't really involve a love triangle, per say... I'm just talking about me.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“The relentless pull of love is a thousand times harder to fight than the tides. If you’re lucky, you’ll make it out before you drown. If you’re even luckier, you’re pulled under just long enough to wash away the sorrow. If you’re really lucky, like me, you resurface just in time to find the one you love floating right beside you.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

The ending left off on a happy note. So, I was glad about that. I'm kind of excited to read the next one now. It started really good. The middle was okay for me, and the ending picked up again and I was enjoying the drama. Like I said, there was no love triangle, but I feel like that might change in the next book. Afterall, Chris said he wasn't giving up. I still don't know if I'm Team Adam or Team Chris. But I think for right now, I'm actually kind of swaying towards Chris. Oh, the decisions! Let's see what happens. Overall, it was a great read.