Dissident by Cecilia London

Dissident (The Bellator Saga Book 1) - Cecilia London

♥ ♥ ♥ 3.75 STARS ♥ ♥ ♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“I wish I could take all your pain away...even though you think you've been permanently damaged. You have so much to give and you deserve so much in return. I just hope that eventually there might be some room left in your heart for me.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

This book is a bit different to what I usually like to read. This is why I was a bit hesitant to read it. But after a friend here on Goodreads recommended it to me and read a few reviews, I decided to give it a try.

Right off the bat, the prologue hooked me in. A man named Jack is seen running in the snow with his wife Caroline trying to get away from something. Caroline is wounded and it seems they are tiring fast. And whoever they are running from is only getting closer. The suspense of what was happening had me turning the page and not wanting to stop. From there on, the story was told alternating from past to present in Caroline's P.O.V.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“You see my humanity. And you accept me anyway. I feel like when you look at me you can see straight to my heart, bypassing all the messy details. You like me. I trust you. None of what I have matters to you nearly as much as who I truly am.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

In the past, we see how it is that Caroline met and fell in love with Jack. I really much loved watching Caroline's friendship to Jack grow into love. I loved it! I enjoyed the chemistry between them. I loved Jack and how he treated Caroline and her daughters. He was caring and hot. Caroline was a snarky intelligent woman and a very loving mother. I really liked her and I was very happy to see her slowly open up to Jack. They really were great together. Another thing I liked was that these characters acted like the adults that they were and never came across as childish or anything like that.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

He backhanded her a final time, and everything went black.
Caroline jerked at the memory. Fuck. This definitely wasn't purgatory.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

While I was drawn to the romantic story line, I won't lie, the whole political aspect didn't really do it for me. I've just never really enjoyed things involving politics so it was hard for me to follow their political jargon. These parts caused the books to become really slow for me so I did skim through it at times. However, I still managed to enjoy the story. The book picked up for me near the end that I became engrossed in what was happening between Jack and Caroline in the past, and what was happening with Caroline in the present. Then the ending happened...that freaking cliffhanger. I need to read the next book! Overall, this was a really good read. I didn't end up loving it but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy or like it, because I did. I can't wait to read the next one but I think I will wait for all the parts to be out before I do. I just can't deal with them cliffhangers.