Review: Affairytale by C.J. English

Affairytale, A Memoir - C.J. English

♥ ♥ ♥ 4 STARS ♥ ♥ ♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“I ached for red silk romance, and carry me away passion, and I ached for it with nobody else but him. He was a breed of charming I couldn't resist.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I've not read many non-fiction books, as you can probably tell. But the moment this book was put on my radar and I read the blurb--thanks to Allison--I became intrigued by this book. And the fact that this was a real romance, I had to dive into it. This is about a real life woman finding her happily ever after. It may have not been right at times, or easy to read, but it was beautiful in the fact that it was honest.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“He filled my longing, he erased the emptiness. A lifetime of incompleteness over. All of the things I had tried to fill myself with: religion, food, work, men, it was none of those---it was him I had been waiting for him.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

The first part of the book was a tad slow for me, because it starts off with C.J. and her boyfriend Levi together. It shows them on their road to getting married and how their lives turned out after they tied the knot. C.J. gives birth to a little girl, which seems to cement her idea that she is to be with Levi. However, she has never fully believed it no matter how much she told herself she did. Once, Grant comes into the picture that is when things became a bit more interesting. But, I did struggle to connect with him at first because there wasn't much on how he felt about C.J. Instead we get a retelling of everything that ran through C.J.'s mind when this handsome man showed up in her life. And it was really interesting.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“I craved him. I needed him. I was myself when I was with him. I had married the wrong person, therefore I’d become the wrong person. No ironically, I was having an affair that was turning me into the right person.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

When things between C.J. and Levi deteriorated and was at a real low, I couldn't help but cringe and feel so uncomfortable with the words they both exchanged. I felt bad for both sides and could sympathize with them. It's hard not to judge C.J's behaviour towards her husband. But, I got to say it also amazed me that this woman was so willing to show all sides of herself. The good and the bad, and that she is just human and not perfect. It seemed crazy to do such a thing. But again, this is what appealed to me about this book, its honesty and realness. I hope, just like C.J., that Levi finds his happily ever after too. I also hope that C.J.'s back is doing much better now.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“Life keeps bringing us together,” I said. “Even when I tried to get away from you, I couldn't.”

“I knew we were meant to be,” he said, “I've just been waiting for you to get free.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

When a relationship began to form between C.J. and Grant, that is when I became hooked. Because we got to see a little more as to who Grant is as a person. This man was really sweet, patient, and kind. It was crazy to think that these two people shared such a deep connection and for so many years. They were undeniably drawn to each other and that just fascinated me, watching them fall in love. Their love was truly wonderful and romantic. I was happy with the sweet ending. I really liked the lyrical writing style of this book, you wouldn't know it was her debut. C.J. is a brave woman for sharing her raw story and opening up completely about her life. I loved the message she conveyed at the end, that one should not settle and that you should find your happiness with your "The One". I also liked that she accepted her wrongs and didn't make excuses for what happened. Overall, it was a great read. It's something that I won't be forgetting about any time soon, and something that is definitely worth reading.

P.S. Thank you, Allison!! For the awesome recommendation! ;D

~ARC was kindly given in exchange for an honest review.~