Review: Denied by Jodi Ellen Malpas

One Night: Denied - Jodi Ellen Malpas

♥♥♥ 3.75 STARS ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“We’re more broken if we don’t have each other. Let me put us back together again. I need you, Olivia. Desperately. You’re making my world light.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

This book picks up a few weeks after the first book ended. If you've read the first book you know about the big reveal that to be honest, I did not see coming. Livy made a choice and now she is trying to get over M, a.k.a. Miller Hart. But it seems that no matter what she does, she can't stop thinking about him. However, that doesn't stop her from trying her hardest to move on. Miller knows he needs to let her go, it would be better for the both of them. The attraction and love between them is consuming them, it's not something they can just push away. As a result, Miller relentlessly tries to get Livy back. He won't give up until she forgives him and allows him to love her again.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"I’m your someone. Everyone has a someone, and I’m yours, like you are mine."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

This book was really good and interesting. I loved that we finally learned more about the mysterious Miller. His history was quite heartbreaking and it helped me understand why he is the way he is, but I wasn't always happy with his decisions. There is still so much more to learn, though. I am waiting for him to fully express himself on what he feels for Livy. I know he cares deeply by his actions and sweet words, but I want more. That didn't mean I didn't fall for him less. This man is a moody jerk at times, but totally melted my heart as well. It was very entertaining watching Livy try to get him to relax and not be so uptight.

Livy in this book, got a bit on my nerves. Livy and Miller are both quite stubborn so it definitely clashes at times. I just didn't like how she came off in this book. She would at times act too immature and needy. I kind of wanted her to stand for herself during certain circumstances without the need of making a big scene. I also didn't care for some of the decisions she made as well. I did, however, love that she didn't let Miller slip through her fingers and kept fighting for him. And like I mentioned before, it was fun watching her try to make Miller loosen up.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“We were made to fit together. We fit perfectly together. You must feel it, Olivia.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

And then there was the angst, and a lot of it. I actually don't mind angst, I love it in the books I read, but this was frustrating. I didn't expect things to keep going back and forth between them. I thought things would be more solid between them, but that was not the case. Because of this, some parts of the book seemed to drag on a tad bit. I also thought some words and phrases were repeated way too much. Around the last third of the book, thing became interesting again. Even though I didn't like some things, I did very much enjoy the rest of the book. I couldn't put it down wanting to know what would happen. Of course it led to another unexpected cliffhanger that made me want to jump right into the next one. Overall, it was a good read. The steam was really hot, just like the first book. There is still so much more to learn about the secrets that are kept hidden. I can't wait to see what will happen next.