REVIEW: Carry the Ocean by Heidi Cullinan

Carry the Ocean - Heidi Cullinan

♥♥♥ 5 STARS ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

'There is no normal, not really. Not a right and a wrong way to be. But there is belonging.'

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Ahh...this story!! I loved it so freaking much!! I honestly don't even know how to write a review for this because I know whatever I say won't do this story justice.

This story is about a young man named Emmet Washington. He is a very intelligent nineteen year old, who is studying at Iowa State University and very awesome. Oh, and he also is autistic. Emmet, with the help of his parents and his therapist, has learned how to keep calm at all times. Things that he struggles to understand, he finds modifications to make things easier for him. While Emmet has figured out how to deal with most things in his life, he still struggles with his social skills because of how people look at him when he rocks and hums. But, there is one person he is determined to meet, and that is his neighbor Jeremey. Emmet has a big crush on him and finally introduces himself to him at a neighborhood party.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"That's another something I learned this year: how to be a boyfriend. How to listen to someone else, what they need, how to give it to them. What I need. How to love them...How to make a life with someone. How to help someone else through struggles, and let them help me with mine...There's nothing wrong with me and who I am, but I do have depression and anxiety, and they're both pretty severe...They're real things. They're invisible to everyone but me..."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Jeremey may look like a healthy normal eighteen year old on the outside, but he is anything but on the inside. Jeremey suffers from depression and clinical anxiety. Unlike Emmett, Jeremey doesn't receive any support from his family. His parents insist that his sad behaviour will pass and that he must act "normal". The pressure of being told to be normal and go to college becomes too much for him. But, when Emmet enters his life something changes for Jeremey as they become best friends. Emmet helps him feel a little bit lighter and not so alone. Emmet and Emmet's parents become the support system that Jeremey so desperately needed.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"I love you, Emmet. I'll love you always. I'll love you always best."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

This book was so stunning, thought-provoking, emotional, and heart-warming. The characters were so genuine and pure. It was such a unique experience that I am so glad I got to read it. I can't tell you enough how I really appreciated all the research done by the author in order to make these characters as realistic as possible. I loved both of these characters a lot, but there was something so very special about Emmet. He stole my heart by how he loved Jeremey so completely and unconditionally. I hurt for Jeremey and how his parents disregarded his condition. I was so happy that he had Emmet in his life. I even really loved David, who was quadriplegic and became a friend to them both. It was absolutely so endearing watching Emmet and Jeremy fall in love. That innocence they both shared in how they explored all aspects of their relationship melted my heart.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

'I belong. I have a friend who can kick ass from a wheelchair. I live independently and get good grades. I'm an excellent lover. Like I said. I'm awesome. I'm Emmet David Washington. Train Man. The best autistic Blues Brother on the block.'

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

The author did a wonderful job in how she wrote this story. It really hit me in the feels. I was a tearful mess at times. I learned so much about the conditions both the characters had. And it broke my heart with how insensitive some ignorant people can be to people that are just a bit different. It unfortunately happens a lot in real life because they forget that they are people with thoughts and feelings just like them. I applaud the author for bringing this subject to light and doing it in such a beautiful way. I loved the characters, the story, and the wonderful message this book conveyed. This book is definitely one I would HIGHLY recommend to everyone. You just have to experience this beautiful story for yourself.