REVIEW: First Debt by Pepper Winters

First Debt (Indebted Book 2) - Pepper Winters

♥♥♥ 4.25 STARS ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

'This woman had the power to ruin me. That would never be permitted. I had to ruin her first.'

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

This series!! It has me completely hooked. If you have read the previous book, you know it ends with a cliffhanger. Nila has the chance to escape if she can run to edge of the property before she is caught. If she doesn't make it, Jethro will own her completely and Nila mustn't complain. To the surprise of Jethro, she actually runs. He is intrigued by her determination and her fight. No matter what, she doesn't give up her hope for freedom. Nila is figuring out how she wants to play this game. She is tired of losing to Jethro. She wants to survive and make it to the end. Her strategy is now to make Jethro fall for her in order to be able to control him.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"Today is your First Debt, Ms. Weaver. The Debt Inheritance has begun."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I can't tell you how much more I enjoyed this book than the previous one. It was just so good. I absolutely loved getting more into Jethro's mind and finally being able to understand him. He's changed quite a bit since the first book and it was in a believable way. I didn't think I would be able to like him at all, but I am definitely warming up to him. Things are getting a whole lot more interesting. Despite this book being so twisted, I was surprised by how much I was enjoying the sexual tension between Nila and Jethro. It was really hot and was very well done. I also really liked Nila. I love seeing her grow more stronger and more sure of herself. There was one scene that really made me feel for her. I don't know in what state I'd be in if I were in her shoes, so I really admire her resilience. Together these two were intense and I was really happy with how well I was able to connect with them both.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“We would keep on ruining each other.
We would keep on desecrating debts and vows.
And we would keep on fucking up our future until nothing but horror remained.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

In order to protect each other, they want to keep things purely physical, but their feelings are evolving, and that can be very dangerous for the both of them. I don't know what will happen next, but I am extremely excited to continue this series. I am very much liking the direction of the story. I liked the growth of both the characters, and the start of something romantic between Nila dnd Jethro. There were definitely some dark and horrifying things that took place in this book, so this isn't for everyone. I was glad that some of the questions I had were answered, but holy hell, do I have a ton more of them now. That ending...I had my guesses but I didn't see that coming. I can't wait to dig into the next book.

***WARNING: Contains scenes with violence.***