REVIEW: Kyland by Mia Sheridan

♥♥♥ 4.5 STARS ♥♥♥

'Half agony, half hope.
Half pain, half ecstasy.
Half grief, half joy.
Half my downfall, half my savior.'

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Tenleigh and Kyland are teens from an impoverished small town in Kentucky. Both are just barely surviving and are doing whatever it takes to make sure they continue that way. They both have dreams of one day leaving Dennville in order to hopefully live the life they never had growing up. How will they do this? They both are working their butts off to make sure they win a scholarship that will give them a full ride to any school they choose. To make this happen they can't afford any distractions. But, one day they cross paths and their lives are never the same.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“You drive me crazy,” he murmured. He brushed his lips across mine lightly and I shivered. “And you make the darkness go away. You bring me some kind of peace.” He let out a harsh exhale of breath and I drank it in. “I don’t know what to do with it.”

“Take it, Ky,” I whispered. “You deserve some peace. Let me give it to you.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Kyland doesn't do love. Neither does Tenleigh. They both have witnessed to many people in their lives be burned by it, and have even experienced it themselves to know that they want nothing to do with it. What they don't want to admit to themselves is that they have noticed each other. And once they finally meet, there is a pull between them that is unavoidable. They become friends and grow closer each day they spend together. They didn't want to, but they fell in love. Both are selfless and loyal and want the other to succeed. They know that this is temporary and once the winner of the scholarship is announced, they won't see each other again.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“I fell so damn hard, Tenleigh. Standing right at this bookshelf. I gave you my heart and you weren’t even in the room.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

This was such a beautifully written emotional story. I don't know how Mia Sheridan does it, but I love how much her books make feel. I cried from the pain but also smiled so big from the joy of this book. It was a unique story like all of Mia's books are. I loved both characters and how driven, compassionate and unselfish they were. Watching them fall in love so sweet and heart warming. Watching them suffer was heart shattering. I loved the message of hope that this book brings to the reader. Kyland was such an amazing character. He made mistakes, but you really can't help but love him so much for everything he did for Tenleigh. It was just such a wonderful story. I definitely recommend you give this book a read.