Review: Pretend by Riley Hart

Pretend (Blackcreek Book 3) - Riley Hart

♥♥♥ 3.5 STARS ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"You're making me feel things, too, music man. Go to bed with me. Fuck me. Play for me. Show me your music."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Pretend is book three in the Blackcreek series. This one was about Mason and Gavin, both of these men are trying to get away from something in their lives. They decide to do it by moving to Blackcreek. Mason opened up his own bar and has been in this town since, where he has become friends with the characters of the previous books in this series. Gavin is new to town after he lost his job as a music teacher, he is a bit lost and looking for some direction for his life, so he moves to Blackcreek and rents his ex-boyfriend Braden's old house. Somehow he ends up at the bar Mason works and owns, and that is where he finds work as a bartender. They both are very attracted to each other, and since they both are single, they decide to do something about it.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"This is the real Gavin. The person I'm seeing right now. I'm a selfish bastard because I want to be the only one to see him, but I can't do that. This is who you need to show the world."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I really enjoyed both Mason and Gavin. I especially loved Mason and what a bossy bottom he was, I was fanning myself a lot because of it. I really enjoyed the smoking sex scenes in this book. I also really enjoyed the story. Mason has been pushed into going the family business, something he doesn't have a real interest in. Then Mason finds out that he has been lied to his whole life by his family. While Gavin, after continually trying to make his family happy by pretending not to be himself, finds himself jobless and rejected for trying to help a boy in his music class deal with his sexuality. They are both tired of pretending to be happy when they are not. They understand each other and together they find a place where they can be happy just being themselves and finally live.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"Now's gonna be when you want to kiss me, music man."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I liked how supportive these characters were of each other. It took a while for them to fall in love. Sure, some parts of the book dragged on a bit, but I actually enjoyed reading those scenes where Mason and Gavin would slowly get to know each other better. The steam, as I've mentioned before, was off the roof hot! I liked the overall story line of this one, but it wasn't very angsty or very emotional, so there wasn't much that went on. I did feel for both of the characters, especially Gavin. I hated how much Gavin's parents didn't support him, it was just horrible. I loved the sweet romantic ending that melted my heart. It was a perfect conclusion for them both. I really enjoyed this read and I can't wait to see what is next in this series.