Review: It Ain't Me, Babe by Tillie Cole

It Ain't Me, Babe - Tillie Cole

♥♥♥ 3.75 STARS ♥♥♥

This was a very interesting story. It follows a young woman in her early twenties named Mae that has lived her entire life in a community of a religious cult. For years she has suffered abuse for being beautiful, for being a temptress to men. One day when she is just eight years old she runs into the forest to get away from it all for awhile. She reaches the fence the keeps them all in and sees a boy in the other side. It was one meeting but she never forgot him and how kind he was with her, or how he gave her her first kiss. Fifteen years later, Mae escapes to avoid marriage and ends up meeting the boy once again, only now, he is a very dangerous man.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“For the first time in my life, I feel wanted... like I finally belong. There is nowhere on Earth I would rather be than here with you. You do not cage me, Styx. You make me soar.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

The prologue really intrigued me. It was very unique add that cult aspect into this story. However as I continued to read, I had trouble with the hero at times. Styx is the president of a motorcycle club called The Hades’ Hangman. He kills and sleeps with many women, he is the complete opposite to Mae. Mae, is naïve about the world outside the commune. So being in a motorcycle club was a complete culture shock. She has to learn about how their "community" works and all the rules of this world. Styx can't believe his luck, he has never forgotten the girl with wolf eyes. He wants Mae as his own, but as the president the club must be a priority.

The story line had me captivated. I was on edge by all the suspense and tension in this book. It was all kinds of hot. But, like I mentioned before, there were a few things that did bother me. Mostly, it was the decisions or actions that Styx made. While I enjoyed the writing style of the book, I also didn't care for the way "weren't" was used instead of "wasn't". It became really annoying to me. I actually enjoyed the love triangle that goes on in here. And all those twists and turns had me screaming with shock while my poor pillow took the brunt of my abuse, (sorry pillow). But seriously, I did not see it coming. The only thing I would have liked more of was for there to be more scenes of Styx and Mae together. I wanted to watch them fall in love with each other even more.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

'We were always fated to be together. He is my everything. He is my entire world...Styx is my salvation.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Overall, despite me not being able to love this book completely, the story itself definitely had my attention to the point where I didn't really want to put this down. I liked Styx but didn't end up loving him unfortunately. He could be sweet in his own way when he wanted to. And Mae was a pretty good heroine. I am definitely interested in the other characters in this book. What an ending to this book!! This series has definitely hooked me in. I am truly saddened and pained about the turn a character took, but I hold hope that he will redeem himself in his book. It was a good start to this series, I can't wait to see what Ky's book has in store.