Review: Shy by John Inman

Shy - John Inman

♥♥♥ 4 "S.A.D" STARS ♥♥♥

(Don't worry, it's not really sad.)

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

'We might not be much at socializing, but by God, stick a dick in our faces and we could rumble with the best of them.'

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

After my last book left me a bit emotionally drained, I was looking for something to pick me up, make me laugh out loud, and feel good. This book was just exactly what I was looking for. It was hilarious and fun. I really enjoyed it.

Tom suffers from S.A.D., a.k.a. Social Anxiety Disorder. Because of this, Tom has trouble in group settings. He becomes a shy nervous wreck just thinking about having to talk to strangers. This is why he is alone. Well, he does have his dog Pedro that keeps him company. Now, his ex-cheating-boyfriend Jerry has invited him to a party he and his new partner Stanley are hosting. Tom of course refuses but Jerry convinces him by setting him up to become friends with Stanley's straight out of the farm brother who also suffers from S.A.D. It was an awkward first meeting but pretty soon they hit it off, and end up falling for each other.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“I'm beginning to understand what maybe falling love is like. And I don't want to stop understanding it. And I don't want to fall in love with anybody else, either. I want to fall in love with you. All the way.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

This was such a funny story. I enjoyed Tom's snarky narration. He was so awesome, I could not get enough of his quirky inner ramblings. And Pedro, the Chihuahua, freaking stole the spotlight many times. I loved that annoying yet endearing dog. Frank, oh my, he was hot and such a sweetheart. I loved him too! They did fall in love a bit too fast but I didn't care, they were so freaking perfect for each other. I also very much enjoyed it when they went to the farm to visit Frank's father, who is dying from cancer. Frank's father was really great. I didn't know how Tom would react or how fast he would acclimate to his new surrounding so that was fun to read. There were a series of mishaps that had me laughing out loud. The chickens, the cows, the pigs, and the scary boar Samson...freaking funny!

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“I'm glad you've got each other. You look happy. I hope you can stay that way. I have no issue whatsoever with you being the way you are. Just be good to each other. That's all I ask. And be happy.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I can't tell you how sad I was that Frank's father Joe was slowly dying. But he was such a great man. It's unfortunate he made a horrible son, thankfully that was not Frank. I really hated Stanley, Frank's brother, because he was such a prick. Seriously, he was a big giant douche. There were a few steamy scenes, but, I was expecting a bit more. That doesn't mean that the scenes we did get weren't hot, because they were. I really enjoyed this humourous story. I loved the antics of many of the characters. I loved how Tom and Frank let their extreme shyness fade away when they were together. It was so heart warming. The ending was a bit over the top, unbelievable, and definitely not what I was expecting at all, but it was also so great. I loved the sweet conclusion Tom and Frank got. It left me totally content and with a happy smile. If you enjoy sarcastic humour with some quirky side characters (most of which were animals), then you will love this entertaining and hilarious story.