Review: Becoming Calder by Mia Sheridan

Becoming Calder - Mia Sheridan

♥♥♥ 4.5 STARS ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"As long as we're both under the same moon, we'll always find a way to each other."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Wow. My feelings. My thoughts. This book was unlike anything I had ever read before. It was original and unforgettable and beautifully written. I cannot wait to read the next book.

I am a big fan of Mia Sheridan. I love the fact that her stories are ones you can't forget and that her characters are the same way. This book was just like that. I loved the story, although I though I might not at first. It took me a bit of time to get into and I thought this would be the first Mia Sheridan book I might have to step away from. The problem for me was the fact that this dealt with religion and that usually isn't my thing. But, I am so happy I kept going because it was an amazing story.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“He was goodness-raw, unguarded goodness. It glowed in him. It was impossible to not want to drown in that type of beauty.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Acadia is a place where a religious community/cult reside. Calder has been living there his whole life. They are isolated from the "Big Community"(the rest of the world). They all work hard with very little to their name. All Calder has is his family and best friend Xander. The members of council, however, seem to have so much more. They have all the modern conveniences that the workers do not. Calder wants to be more than just a water bearer, he wants to be on council and learn more about the "Big Community.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

'Calder kissed me in a way that made me believe I had not only always been his, but I would be his forever. In this life or any other. In his kiss was the promise that wherever he and I existed, we would belong to each other.'

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

One day, Hector--the leader--returns to Acadia because he has found his "Chosen One", just like the prophecy said he would. Hector brings in a little girl named Eden, who he plans to marry when she turns eighteen so she can lead them to "Elysium"/heaven. Calder, a boy himself, becomes interested in Eden, and Eden seems to feel the same way. They start a bit of a friendship but, Eden is forbidden so Calder stays away. Years go by, and they watch each other grow from children to young adults. The feelings of attraction grow, never diminishing with time. Soon, the inevitable happens, they bump into each other at a spring and continue to see each other there in secret. They eventually fall in love, but they are unsure of what do since Eden is betrothed to Hector. It seems all they can do is escape.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“I’m going to take you away from here, to a place where my bed is your bed, and my home is your home. And in that place, I’ll never be more than an arm’s reach from you.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

The story was told in alternating POV's. I loved that we get both because it was really beautiful to see them both fall in love with each other. They are each other's firsts, so my heart melted completely reading about them exploring one another. My heart felt for them and their situation. This is where I became completely captivated by the story. Hector suspects what is happening between them and becomes insane with trying to keep them apart. He will not allow anyone to disrupt the prophecy. I LOATHED Hector and his accomplice Clive. They were horrible. They were selfish and mean, which was a total contradiction to Hector's teachings.

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

"Calder, my heart is yours, as is my life, my body, my dreams. You own each and every part of me, in this lifetime and any other."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

My feelings were everywhere while reading this book. The angst of wondering if Calder and Eden would make it almost killed me. I got angry, scared, teared up, smiled so big, and swooned. There was that innocent quality in the relationship between Calder and Eden that had me hooked. I loved them both dearly as I did the secondary characters Maya and Xander. The writing was stunning. This ended with a big cliffhanger, so I am really happy that the next book is out. I can't wait to start it. Overall, I loved this incredible and unique story. I definitely recommend you give this a try.